Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Well, we have a new look to our forum so lets start a new discussion on SA sports badges and there variations,types and makers. These are a very common badge but they have a few types and I'm sure there are some variations out there as well as different manufacturers. Lets see some examples out there.

Fritziii

<BR>
D
D
Hello,
Here is my SA sports badge. I believe this is the 3rd type with the wording Eigentum der Obersten SA-Fuhrung. Maker is W. Redo I have always wondered whether this was Gold grade one because it seems to have some gold color left on the front. Any comments and opinions are welcomed. While these badges are not rare I do find them to be a very attractive looking item.
Duzig(Bill)

387.jpg (45.15 KB, 243 downloads)
375.jpg (58.08 KB, 242 downloads)
I will contribute the info. on types.

1st type -- EIGENTUM D. CHEFS D.
1934-1935. AUSBILDUNGSWESENS.

2nd type -- EIGENTUM D. S.A. SPORTABZEICHEN
1935-1939. HAUPTSTELLE.

3rd type -- EIGENTUM DER OBERSTEN
1939-1944. S.A.-FUHRUNG.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
Nice! I love the Wehrabzeichen Thanks Fritziii + Joe! Heres my contribution; a bronze Type 4, RZM marked M1/100 for Redo, and a silver type 3. They both have the proper markings as Joe pointed out above? Types 3 were used from 1939 to 1945, so, somewhere in that timeframe Type 4 was used as well. There's no issue-number on the type 4, other then the RZM maker's number, which is good for Types 3 + 4. Sometime during the war they got being called Wehrabzeichen instead?

Also, heres the Handbuch der Lehrberechtigden für das Sportabzeichen Or, the manual/handbook for the sportsinstructor that is allowed to teach, so, probably certified in some way. And, to boot, the Sport Im Gelände Teil I and Teil II, the manual/handbook for students. Im not very sure how many parts there are?

Sincerely,
Karin-Renate

1.jpg (96.48 KB, 207 downloads)
Silver (left) + bronze (right)
2.jpg (97.38 KB, 206 downloads)
Silver (left) + bronze (right), backshot
3.jpg (92.96 KB, 206 downloads)
Silver, backside
4.jpg (95.53 KB, 208 downloads)
Bronze, backside
5.jpg (97.49 KB, 205 downloads)

Nichts ist Ende, nichts ist Anfang.
Originally Posted By: Duzig
Hello,
Here is my SA sports badge. I believe this is the 3rd type with the wording Eigentum der Obersten SA-Fuhrung. Maker is W. Redo I have always wondered whether this was Gold grade one because it seems to have some gold color left on the front. Any comments and opinions are welcomed. While these badges are not rare I do find them to be a very attractive looking item.
Duzig(Bill)

Oh, yes, yours is VERY beautiful Duzig Looks gold indeed? But I never saw a real gold 1, so, I can only give my opinion for what its worth but its in topcondition, Truly WAY awesome!

Sincerely,
Karin-Renate

Type 2 Bronze by: Berg & Nolte A.G. Ludenscheid. Numbered.

--dj--Joe

j2.JPG (59.7 KB, 194 downloads)
j5.JPG (48.92 KB, 193 downloads)

<BR>
Hey Joe

Thats a beautiful Sportabzeichen! Im trying to find the number ... is that on 1 of the swastika-paws? 1 has Ludenscheid, and, opposed to that paw, does it have a number there? It says "Nolte F. A.G." I think? Maybe a number above that? Or ... am I totally missing it in plain sight? Did you check out the number? See if a name or Urkunde exists? Or is that impossible to do?

Sincerely,
Karin-Renate

K, the number is obscured beneath --dj-- . I don't believe the numbers are researchable.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
R
R
Hello All, these are great badges that are still relatively affordable. Duzig, it sure looks gold to me compared to the bronze ones shown! K, your bronze badge appears to have the catch re-soldered? Really like those handbooks! dj, yours is numbered in the same exact place mine is! Here is my bronze grade made by Berg & Nolte A.G. What type is this? It is clearly numbered 802179. Regards, Leipzig

DSCF2405.jpg (60.91 KB, 174 downloads)
DSCF2400.jpg (68.08 KB, 174 downloads)
DSCF2403.jpg (64.53 KB, 174 downloads)
Last edited by Roger Jeandell aka; 07/19/2010 08:02 PM.

Never fry bacon in the nude!
Originally Posted By: derjager
K, the number is obscured beneath --dj-- . I don't believe the numbers are researchable.

--dj--Joe

Hi Joe

I see! Thanks ... compared yours with Leipzigs? "His" number can be seen! I understand now, sorry, didn't know where the numbers were stamped So, if no research, then, I guess they can be interesting to try + find a similar numbered Urkunde with that? If that is even possible?

Love,
Karin-Renate

Originally Posted By: Roger Jeandell aka
...K, your bronze badge appears to have the catch re-soldered? Really like those handbooks!...

Hi Leipzig

YES, thats a weirdlooking little white'ish spot there! I dont know what it is? Does soldering make bronze white? Anyway, very possibly a repair, yes, the general condition of this 1, not so good, but I like its ruff "been out there" look And also, I see many type 3s? But type 4s, with just the RZM Redo mark? Not so much? Oh, the handbooks, YES, Im stoked with these! Teil 1 + the teacher's Handbuch just got here recently actually, I love these! Very cool, they truly bring it all home, if you get all things together!

Originally Posted By: Roger Jeandell aka
...dj, yours is numbered in the same exact place mine is! Here is my bronze grade made by Berg & Nolte A.G. What type is this? It is clearly numbered 802179...

Its a type 2, rather special, well, more special then types 3 + 4, 'cause of its number very desirable too! You have an amazingly clean badge there, thanks for showing, these are so very very lovely! A type 1 would've been marked with "EIGENTUM D. CHEFS D. AUSBILDUNGSWESENS". You have "EIGENTUM D. SA. SPORTABZEICHEN HAUPTSTELLE" there, that's a type 2 marking. Both types 1 + 2 have numbers, issuenumbers, linked to the person who won it.

Sincerely,
Karin-Renate

K , a matching numbered document would be a possibility.

I think the solder on your example has just discolored. That can be seen on later zinc pieces. The zinc may turn the solder or late in the war the solder could have been made up of cheaper alloys.

--------------------------------------------------

Roger, yours is a nice example. Thanks for showing it.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
Hi Joe!

K , a matching numbered document would be a possibility.[/color]

That WOULD be cool to find? Reckon its easier to find a specific grain of sand on the bottom the Pacific?

I think the solder on your example has just discolored. That can be seen on later zinc pieces. The zinc may turn the solder or late in the war the solder could have been made up of cheaper alloys.

Thanks Joe! All this metal responding in certain ways to age and stuff? Its all a bit hard for me to grab, I had a bit of a crashcourse on crossguardplatelifting? But I get the general idea. I don't mind the spot much. Its not something recent and doesnt make the badge less nice So, "my" piece is zinc? I never thought of that? I must take care of it by keeping it greased? Zinc is attacked by rot?

Wondering,
Karin-Renate

Originally Posted By: Krullies
Hi Joe!
Thanks Joe! All this metal responding in certain ways to age and stuff? Its all a bit hard for me to grab, I had a bit of a crashcourse on crossguardplatelifting? But I get the general idea. I don't mind the spot much. Its not something recent and doesnt make the badge less nice So, "my" piece is zinc? I never thought of that? I must take care of it by keeping it greased? Zinc is attacked by rot?

Wondering,
Karin-Renate

K, it could have a higher zinc content. Have you a magnet to test it with? Yours appears to be in good condition. It could be steel with cheaper solder. confused

--dj--Joe

<BR>
R.R Offline
Hi to all,

Here my bronze 2nd type by Fechler, a not very common maker.

"Karin-Rose" and her flowers again. smile

Cheers,

Ricardo

Last edited by R.R; 07/24/2010 03:50 PM.

Regards,

Ricardo
OP Offline
Here is a boxed SA sport Badge for War Wounded, marked RZM 1/100 . I'llpost pics of more of mine but will have to take them again, looks like all my older pics on my computer are MIA. As these were made from pot metal the finish is usually missing, this particular one survived in nice shape.

Fritziii

War wound1.jpg (95.34 KB, 156 downloads)
WW3.jpg (101.23 KB, 156 downloads)

<BR>
Hi Fritziii

Thinking of recent naming-dicussions, is that, like, Fritz the Third? Anyway, very very nice looking badge! I love the Wolfsangel-like thingy in the design? Very cool! Thanks for sharing this 1!

Originally Posted By: fritziii
...I'llpost pics of more of mine but will have to take them again, looks like all my older pics on my computer are MIA...

Shooting pics can be great fun Sure am looking forward to more of your badges Fritziii!

Sincerely,
Karin-Renate

Nice badges everyone and the pictures with flowers is a great touch K. Really like the SA sport badge for war wounded! Here's mine. Is it a bronze or gold badge? Thanks.

1.jpg (98.75 KB, 131 downloads)

2.jpg (98.56 KB, 128 downloads)
Hi Mikee!

Thanks for sharing your badge! I love it! It could VERY well be gold? I think its (peeled) colour is different from my (peeled) colour? Does any1 know how to know if its gilded or bronzed?

Sincerely,
Karin-Renate

D
Online Content
D
Very nice boxed SA sport Badge for War Wounded Fritziii.I love the age on it.
Here's one I posted a while back that was eventually lost due to the changeover.

SA 770.jpg (18.65 KB, 175 downloads)
SA 770 reverse.jpg (37.03 KB, 175 downloads)
Here is a 3rd type Redo, I think. I've always wondered if this one is bronze or gold.
What say ye, oh experts!

100_3335 (Medium).jpg (94.52 KB, 161 downloads)
100_3336 (Medium).jpg (96.2 KB, 161 downloads)
100_3337 (Medium).jpg (96 KB, 161 downloads)

WANTED TO REPURCHASE!! Walther pistol Model PP - ac code - Ser. No. 382000P - REWARD FOR INFO ABOUT THIS PISTOL!!
Denny,
Don't see no experts. I sure can't tell.
Have seen pale gold U-boat badges. Have also seen light bronze drivers badges that were "labeled" gold examples.
Got a fer sure bronze example you could photo it next too?

--dj--Joe

candle.gif (7.71 KB, 152 downloads)

<BR>
"Here's one I posted a while back -----"

Dean, sure don't see many with that hinge set up.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Denny Gaither
Here is a 3rd type Redo, I think. I've always wondered if this one is bronze or gold.
What say ye, oh experts!

Denny, can you take a shot strait on? From the angle it looks like it could be but like Joe said I have seen faded ones also. When I get a chance I'll post my gold one for comparison. Kinda tough right now with a bit of home remodling going on so time is limited.

Fritziii

<BR>
OP Offline
finally had a bit of time and snapped a few shots, here is my gold with serial number and I believe it is a second pattern.

Fritziii

SA sport badges 004.JPG (91.49 KB, 135 downloads)
SA sport badges 005.JPG (100.35 KB, 135 downloads)
SA sport badges 003.JPG (108.4 KB, 135 downloads)

<BR>
OP Offline
3rd Pattern silver

SA sport badges 006.JPG (89.5 KB, 136 downloads)
SA sport badges 007.JPG (96.37 KB, 136 downloads)

<BR>
B
B
finally had a bit of time and snapped a few shots, here is my gold with serial number and I believe it is a second pattern.

Fritziii

Hi Fritzii
Thats a bronce grade - the number is too high for a gold grade

Regards Tino

Here is my third pattern bronze.

John

MVC-591S.JPG (40.16 KB, 106 downloads)
MVC-595S.JPG (39.51 KB, 106 downloads)
MVC-596S.JPG (38.27 KB, 105 downloads)
MVC-597S.JPG (38.53 KB, 105 downloads)
MVC-598S.JPG (40.01 KB, 105 downloads)
MVC-599S.JPG (40.67 KB, 105 downloads)

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
Originally Posted By: Beli

Fritziii

Hi Fritzii
Thats a bronce grade - the number is too high for a gold grade

Regards Tino

Hi Fritziii! It sure looks nice! Gold, or bronze, maybe a jeweler can test for you? Thanks for showing!!

Tino, may have a point, but, who really knows for sure? Gold awards, some 150000 awarded, still, why not a bit more? Or maybe, some numbers were used for something else? Would the numbers be exact to the number of awards?

Did you know, there also is one, for marine? Numbered, here. Nice!

Originally Posted By: JohnZ
Here is my third pattern bronze.

John

John! With the box?? Wow, stunning!!

Krullies:

Thank you for that.

I don't usually go for boxes since I cannot display them as easily with the other medals. I tend to go for condition instead.

This is part of my Norwegian-German medal collection. I am trying to put together a collection of all of the different medals that were awarded to Norwegians who served in the German armed forces during the war.

John

Always looking for Eickhorns and etched bayonets.
Gents,

I thought I would bring this SA Sport Badge thread back to life. Here is an interesting Urkunde for the Bronze SA Sport Badge issued to a Policeman. It seems he qualified for the bronze badge in 1938 and was issued badge #711855. He also worked to qualify for the silver badge in the first two quarters of 1938 and 1939 but was not issued the silver badge according to the stamps in the Urkunde.

The interesting thing is that he was issued a second badge in bronze with the subsequent number #938517. It would be interesting to know if he lost the previous badge or it was re-issued for some other reason. The last date in the Urkunde is the second quarter of 1939, so perhaps he went on active military duty and could not complete the quarterly tests?

It would also be interesting to know what the issueing authority on the back of the badge was at this time. I note that the badge issue numbers in the thread seem to point to a change in the wording on the back of the badges between these two serial numbers.

SA badge urkunde.JPG (45.19 KB, 116 downloads)
SA badge urkunde Police.JPG (59.35 KB, 116 downloads)
SA badge urkunde nr.JPG (53.67 KB, 116 downloads)

"You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself." Ricky Nelson
No one? Alright. The answers are part of the info you already have ORPO. The blanks you can fill by reading old documents and books. The Organisationsbuch tells you most of what you want to know.

Maybe this ain't clear, but there were 3 grades of this award, bronze silver and gold. These grades don't reflect (!!!) how good someone was when he took the tests. If somebody took the tests successfully, he got the bronze award. Everybody got the same bronze award after taking the tests successfully.

The silver Abzeichen was awarded to men who took the test successfully 5 years in a row, or men who turned 35 that took the tests successfully. Ofcourse, either way, you needed to have the bronze Abzeichen already to qualify for a silver one.

The gold Abzeichen was awarded to men who had the silver Abzeichen, and who took the tests successfully 6 years in a row after gaining the silver one.

If during a year some one didn't succeed at the tests, or if he didn't take them, if he missed a year somehow, the Sportabzeichen was revoked and had to be returned to a leader at the SA Sportabzeichen Gemeinschaft. So, it was very common for men to be awarded the Abzeichen more then one time.

As far as the markings at the back are concerned, Joe (derjager) already explained about the types in the 3rd post on the previous page. Interesting is, that, from 1939 till the end of the war, the badge was called SA Wehrabzeichen, before that it was called SA Sportabzeichen. The 6th and 7th edition of the Organisationsbuch have a section about why this is.

So, actually, the Sportabzeichen had two types, and the Wehrabzeichen had two types, like so;
SA Sportabzeichen
Type 1 awarded from march 1934 to january 1935, numbered, authority-mark "EIGENTUM D. CHEFS D. AUSBILDUNGSWESENS".

Type 2 awarded from february 1935 to december 1938, some numbered some not, authority-mark "EIGENTUM D. SA. SPORTABZEICHEN HAUPTSTELLE"

SA Wehrabzeichen
Type 1 awarded from january 1939 to the end of the third Reich, not numbered, authority-mark "EIGENTUM DER OBERSTEN SA–FÜHRUNG"

Type 2 awarded from 1944 to the end of the third Reich, not numbered, no authority-mark but just an RZM marking (only W.REDO M1/100).

Ofcourse, to be complete, I should mention the special Sportabzeichen for marine units, and for wounded. I can't but maybe some one will show you an example of these. Enjoy!!
- KR.

A good thread deserving of another trip to the top.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
Yes indeed

I'll be posting some badges soon. I have a couple coming in soon, both type II.

Die Treue ist das Mark der Ehre!
Will be looking forward to it.

--dj--Joe

<BR>
So one is a Berg & Nolte, the other one is a Fechler.

Here's one

received_1197944456900466.jpeg (132 KB, 37 downloads)
received_1197944460233799.jpeg (68.38 KB, 38 downloads)
received_1197944463567132.jpeg (75.17 KB, 38 downloads)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Popular Topics(Views)
2,265,413 SS Bayonets
1,763,142 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,871 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Postwar Military PCs.
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 01:22 AM
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Vik - 04/23/2024 02:22 PM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Gaspare - 04/23/2024 02:00 AM
S-98 nA. Bayonet
by lakesidetrader - 04/22/2024 01:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Rings & Things for the MAX
by Stephen - 04/27/2024 08:19 AM
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/26/2024 10:05 PM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Ric Ferrari - 04/26/2024 05:52 PM
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,670
Posts329,074
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
6 members (Stephen, jean, Documentalist, Don Scowen, The_Collector, Dean Perdue), 584 guests, and 78 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod